Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Unimportant story in which I fail to "shop victoriously"

So yesterday was Super-Duper-Tsumani Fat Tuesday. The main results I cared about were for the presidential primaries. But I also cared about a bag I was bidding for on eBay. It was a black leather Kenneth Cole bag. Not too big, not too small. Practical yet Stylish. The perfect commuting bag.

Hey, a president is only going to last for 4-8 years. A good leather bag can work for two terms and more!

Anyway, I had been the lead bidder for several days at a bargain of $15. My max bid was set to $20. Unfortunately, I was going to be at a Chicago Dramatists meeting when the auction actually finished. This is important because there are eBay lurkers. (I know because I have been one.) These people wait to place their bids until an auction is almost over because it makes it less likely that someone else will be able to outbid them. Not wanting to lose my bag to lurkers and being willing to pay more than $20, I decided to up my maximum bid to $40. But here's the thing. I forgot to do that.

As I was getting eveything ready to leave work and head to the meeting, I forgot to up my bid. I didn't realize until I was at the theatre and couldn't do anything about it.

I hoped for the best. I still had a few dollars of buffer. It could be okay. Kenneth Cole isn't as highly lurked as, say, Coach. I paid attention to the election returns when I got home last night and didn't even check eBay. This morning, however, I checked.

I lost. But the worst thing about it is that lost by $3.65. A measly $3.65. Had I just remembered to up my bid...

But I can't think that way. I'll just drive myself crazy with it. I try to convince myself that having a higher maximum bid would have just driven the lurkers to outbid me higher. I keep telling myself that.

Now I need to seek a new bag. Another instance of affordable quality. Not to big, not too small. Practical yet Stylish. The perfect commuting bag. Don't even try to outbid me unless you want to go high.

No comments: