Friday, August 8, 2008

Great Minds

Great minds may think alike, but coming up with the same answer as someone else doesn't mean you think alike. It could be luck or coincidence or you could have copied off of their paper. Coming to a correct answer doesn't make you a great mind. It just makes you correct. Once.

In Junior High I got good grades in Geometry, much to the chagrin of my teacher. You see, I never could remember the formulas. Still, somehow, I could force my way through with the formulas that I did know and come up with the correct answers. I couldn't be accused of copying because we had to do the proofs. My proofs clearly showed how I came to the answer. Each meticulous step. You see, when you know the correct formula your proof may only take a few lines. When you don’t know the correct formulas you can get there but it takes 10 times more lines of proof.

I got a good grade in Geometry, but that doesn’t mean I’m good at math. It just means I passed the class.

You can pass a lot of things, but it doesn’t make you a genius.

No comments: