Friday, January 1, 2010

Year/Decade in Review

There was a meme on Twitter for #oneline09, summarizing 2009 in one line. I wrote this:
Became a mom: lost sleep, lost free time, found more love than I ever imagined.

That pretty well summed up the highlights. We traveled around a bit showing off that baby. On a sad note, I lost my grandfather in February and my grandmother in August, but at 90 and 89 their passings were clearly drawing near.

Some have pointed out that the decade doesn't officially change for another year, but since a decade is just a series of 10 years I think we can look back whenever. So, like others, this seems like a good time to do a quick recap of my life since 2000. And wow, has this been quite a decade of change.

In 2000 I lived in Pittsburgh. Since then I moved to Arlington, VA (working in Washington, D.C.), and I now live in Chicago.

In 2000 I left my job of 6+ years for a job that I would be laid off from a year later. I got another job where I worked for 2 years before going back to school for to get my Master's of Science in Information Security Policy and Management. After that came a new job. (The one that made me move to the D.C.-area.) And when I decided to move to Chicago that was enabled by yet another job still.

Oh, why did I decide to move to Chicago? Because my now husband and I wanted to move here. In 2000 I wasn't even dating anyone seriously. I got into a relationship in 2001 that dissolved in 2004. In 2005 I met my now husband. We moved halfway across the country together, got married, and this year we had a son. In 2000 I wasn't even thinking about children.

It's hard to imagine but in 2000 I wasn't a playwright. I was acting, directing, choreographing and producing, but I didn't start playwriting until 2003 when I wrote a play on a whim that got selected and produced at the Gemini New Play Festival. After that I was hooked. I've only acted once since then, but I've had enough play productions that it would take me a while to figure out the total number in order to include it here. I've even (rarely) gotten some money as a result.

It's amazing that all that and more have been crammed into the last 10 years. Part of me sort of hopes that the next 10 years will be a bit more stable, but somehow I doubt that will be the case.

No comments: