Sunday, November 9, 2008

Shameless Self Promotion: Future Ten 5, Pittsburgh, Pa.

This year Future Tenant requested 10 minute plays with a Pittsburgh theme for their annual Future Ten Festival. Running November 14-15, my play "Baby XL" imagines the frustrations of a pregnant Steelers fan when she goes into active labor during Super Bowl XL.

Surprise! It turns out that as I was working on "Baby XL" I was, in fact, a pregnant Steelers fan, although I didn't know it yet. I knew I was a Steelers fan, but as for the other part... I found out I was pregnant a few days after submitting the script. Now, much like the character in my play, I wear my Bettis jersey (one of the few articles of my "old" clothes that continues to fit me) and cheer on the guys in black and gold. The key difference between my life and my play is that I'm not due until March, so I should be able to watch the entirety of the post-season without having to rush to the hospital. Go Steelers!

Here are the details:

Ten new short works by playwrights from Pittsburgh and beyond will be featured November 7-8 & 14-15, 2008, in this fifth installment of a local theater tradition. As a fun new twist, all of this year's plays revolve around a Pittsburgh-inspired theme.

Future Tenant, an alternative art space located to 819 Penn Avenue in the heart of Pittsburgh 's Cultural District, will present Future Ten 5: Yinzer Edition . Split into two weekends (Fridays and Saturdays), the festival will feature a varied collection of plots and characters. This year's festival will also feature a "Yinzer Challenge," during which audience members will challenge each other for the illustrious designation of "Captain Yinzer."

Future Ten 5: Program A – Nov. 7-8 at 8 PM
I Can Tell Your Handbag is Fake by Dean Lundquist
Onus On Us by Cheryl Games
On the Inherent Dangers of Having Colleges Located Next to Each Other by Joseph Lyons
Singlish by Sloan MacRae
Eat Your Art Out by Joshua Elias Harmon

Future Ten 5: Program B – Nov. 14-15 at 8 PM
Baby XL by Kim Z. Dale
What The Puck by F.J. Hartland
Cupcake's on the Couch by Courtney Seiberling
Happy Birthday, Leonard by Walter Thinnes
Begin the Peregrine by Gayle Pazerski

Future Ten 5 will also feature the work of five directors, each of whom will helm two of the plays. Overseeing the shows are Fred Betzner, Sloan MacRae, Jaime Slavinsky, Kellee Van Aken and Stacey Vespaziani.

There will be a $10 admission collected at the door.

PLEASE NOTE: Seating is limited, and there will be no advance ticket sales.

For more information go to www.futuretenant.org