Friday, October 31, 2008

Showing my twisted side

Sure, I'm a mommy-to-be, but I'm still me. And this bun in the oven has not changed the fact that I have a dark and twisted sense of humor. As if the play I started outlining yesterday didn't prove that (it involves a Santa with no pants and the mother of the second coming), my Halloween costume will clearly show it.

I wanted to involve the pregnancy in the costume because it's not something that I'm likely to have many opportunities to do. The belly painting options seemed interesting (pumpkin, fish bowl, etc.), but at 20 weeks I'm not quite round enough to get the full impact. Other options seemed obvious and overdone: pregnant nun, pregnant cheerleader, pregnant (white trash) Britney. The bun in the oven costumes were cute but would be difficult to navigate a party in. (One year I was Botticelli's Venus with a long, wired wig, a body suit, and a giant foam shell. Everyone said I looked great, but shell kept me standing in the corner for most of the night.)

I wanted my Halloween costume to be a bit more creative, allow me show off my belly, be reasonably comfortable, and ideally be a little demented.

I'm going to be dead Sharon Tate.

Per the crime scene photos, she actually died in her underwear. Even though it is "unseasonably mild" today, I wasn't comfortable going that far. A picture taken the day before she was killed shows her in a cropped tank top (showing her belly) and little shorts. I've translated that as shorty pajamas with a cropped top. I've also added a robe for modesty and some warmth.

I have a long blonde wig and fake eyelashes. Again, not realistic to the crime photos but in order to better convey the character, I'm going to do bold 60s eye make-up.

I have some fake skin to make slash marks on my belly and chest. I've already stabbed the robe a bunch of times with a knife covered in fake blood. I have a lot more spray blood to spray over me.

One more little detail. They tied a white rope around her neck, threw it over a rafter, and tied it to another victim. I'll have a white piece of rope around my neck to indicate this.

So that's all.

I told you I was dark and twisted! Is it wrong that a future mother would find this amusing. I don't think so. My child may share my sense of humor or think it's weird/embarrassing, but I don't believe that will impact the child's overall development. After all, I got my sense of humor from my Dad. Other than wanting to be dead Sharon Tate for Halloween I think I turned out just fine.

No comments: