Thursday, December 18, 2008

Do multiple meetings and emails make a sound?

If a tree falls in the forest and someone IS there to hear it but doesn't pay any attention, does it still make a sound? Moreover, if the tree falls then falls on that someone and injures them is it really the tree's fault after loudly sounding the warning of danger???

Here's the deal. My biggest work project of late has been trying to implement this new system. However, whenever I get a segment done and ask the person who will actually use the system to check that what I did is correct, he never does.

Without going into all the boring details, this system involves a lot of accounting transactions. I have not had an accounting class in over 15 years, and I was never good at it then. I make sure to repeat this when I request help checking things. Essentially, I am not qualified to check every nuance. Oh, I can catch blatant errors and send change requests back to the developers, but once I'm satisfied someone who knows this stuff should really look at it. But no one ever does.

Well, we've been live for a few weeks now. The decision to go live was based on my data checks. Now the primary user finally looked at something and found a problem. This problem would have been easy to fix BEFORE we went live, but now that the numbers have been published the correction process is very complex. It sucks.

I want to say, "I told you so." After all, I did. But I have enough work experience to know that isn't how life works. This will come back on me. Either I should have done more checking, or I should have sat with the user until he did it.

I was already stressed today about how hard it seems to be to find a birthing class that doesn't conflict with my baby shower. I really didn't need a 4 o'clock surprise of actual significance.

No comments: