Friday, December 19, 2008

Finding the time

It is a sad commentary on my life that almost 2 months ago my husband had given me a gift certificate for a 1-hour prenatal massage, and I still hadn't had a chance to use it before yesterday. After the day I had I called the spa at 5 and asked if there was any chance (knowing there probably wasn't) of getting a 1-hour prenatal massage last night. Well, it turns out that they had a 6:15 cancellation for a therapist who is certified in prenatal. Something did go right for me yesterday! I had my massage and relaxed for the rest of the night. I didn't make one additional dent in my to do list, and it was wonderful.

This morning I braved the Chicago winter to go to my midwife appointment. This is the last week of my 2nd trimester, so all subsequent appointments increase in frequency from 4 weeks to 2 weeks. Plus, I have to go in for a follow up glucose screening (i.e. 3 hours of sitting around to see how my body processes some nasty sugar water), and a follow-up ultrasound (to check the status of my darn low-lying placenta). Plus we should take some classes: birthing, infant care, breastfeeding. I was thinking that the period after the holidays would be a little calmer, but it looks like my dance card will remain quite full.

Oh, and I should probably get some stuff for this here critter that's a'comin'. From my MIL and a new mother friend I have 2 big boxes of clothes already, but I don't have anything else. And we have to make space for whatever stuff we get. We plan to move to a bigger apartment when our lease is up, but that won't be until the baby is a couple months old. Until then the house is likely to look a bit chaotic with baby accoutrement and other items in whatever rooms they can fit. Luckily we had our Christmas party which will server as our last big home-based event for a while.

There went a big kick. The crit knows when he's being written about. That's okay, baby. The schedule will be crazy, the to do list will be long, but it will all be well worth it for you!

No comments: