Wednesday, December 31, 2008

2008: Year in Review (and a glance ahead)

Well, this year included more big personal milestones. 2007 included moving halfway across the country, changing jobs, and getting engaged. In 2008, I got married and then (surprisingly promptly) got pregnant. I also changed my name, although that change is still trickling through to certain credit cards and memberships.

Planning a wedding and preparing for a baby did cut into my playwriting activities, but I still had some achievements. 3 monologues and a one-act premiered in Pittsburgh. A one-act was produced in Maryland. I had my first Chicago productions, first a reading then a production of my first Christmas play. Although no full-lengths were produced this year, I did complete a draft of a new full-length, which received a developmental reading at Chicago Dramatists in November.

There was some travel this year. We went to St. Johns for our honeymoon, which was spectacular. We visited friends and family in Georgia, Colorado, and Pennsylvania. We also spent a babymoon weekend in New York City.

Body and health wise I lost 20 pounds before the wedding. Although I'd been that thin before I had never been so healthy. I felt great! After the wedding, I finally fulfilled a promise to a friend to try Bikram Yoga, and I loved it. I still do it about twice a week. Of course, the pre-wedding weightloss came back plus more with the baby, but that's what happens. Having lost it once I'm sure I'll be able to take care of it after the baby is born.

There was some luxury this year, in addition to splurging on an amazing resort for the honeymoon. Although hubby (thankfully) doesn't travel much for work anymore, he still had plenty of hotel and airline points. Hilton points allowed us to stay at the Drake Hotel in Chicago on our wedding night and at the Waldorf-Astoria in NYC for our babymoon. Both stays were paid for by points only, which was excitingly decadent.

So what will 2009 have in store? Well, the main thing will be the birth of this critter and the beginning of what hubby calls "the crittaceous period." I am pretty sure that much of the year (and much of the future in general) will revolve around him. I do plan to make time for myself, but I'm being realistic. I likely won't be able to do as much writing, but I will try to send out existing plays. (A one-act is already scheduled to be produced in Massachusetts in January.) Perhaps I may even have some time to continue developing the new full-length. But this year's uber-list is likely to be a bit short. Until I have some time under my belt as a mother (Wow, it's been a few months since I've been able to wear a belt!), I don't want to make promises to myself that I can't keep. My main goal is to give birth to a healthy baby boy, and I'll see where to go from there!

Happy New Year! Now, I need to soak my black-eyed peas before heading out for the evening...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the impending arrival of the critter, as well as all of your other accomplishments! Nice to see you again, even if it is virtually. :-)

(And thanks for the sweater-tying tip! I am clueless about those things...)