Thursday, May 14, 2009

To feed or not to feed

So we had problems with the critter not getting enough to eat. We added more formula after breastfeeding. Then we had problems with the critter getting acid reflux because he was eating to much. We cut back on formula after breastfeeding. His last weigh in was 9 lbs 13 ounces. He only gained 5 ounces in 2 weeks, which is back to the low side. Although our pediatrician is not worried about the critter only being in the 10th percentile ("He's just a little guy."), I find myself constantly confused about what to do. Is that bit of fussiness because he is hungry or overstuffed? Put him back on the breast, give him a bottle, burp him more, or just keep him upright? It's frustrating not to know. I just want to do the best for my son. I neither want to cause him to be underweight, overweight or discomforted. I try to read him as best I can, but I am still never sure if I am doing the right thing.

2 comments:

DL said...

Kim.
Your anxiety about not doing the right thing might actually be worse for him than what you do or don't do.
I am sure you are making good choices. Just trust them. If you think you're doing the right thing, he'll be more at ease.
xo

red pen mama said...

What does your gut tell you? Your instincts? Trust those.

I'm glad to read that you are open-minded about all the ways to feed your 'critter'. And I think it's hysterical that you call him that.

Breastfeeding is by far the most challenging and rewarding thing we do in these early days. Keep going -- it sounds as if you're doing great. Critter will let you know -- you can trust him too.

Sounds like you're adjusting well to motherhood!

ciao,
rpm