Friday, October 26, 2007

Caught in the Web

Initially, the "web" part of world wide web referred to how things interrelated. These weren't linear or hierarchical relationships. This was a web that connected in different ways and reconnected in on itself. But now I think of the "interweb" in correlation to another spider web attribute. Stickiness. I, the humble prey, see something of interest. I move in closer. I'm stuck a little at that point. I'm stuck staring at my browser. Then I see something else. A referenced link? Or maybe I need to learn more. I go to Google or Wikipedia. But each move gets me more attached to the web. Like a struggling fly.

But who or what is the spider? Procrastination? Laziness? Distraction? I am so caught in it's web that I can't recognize it. It envelopes me until I can't move. Until a quick check of the email has turned in to hours of counterproductivity. Until the life blood has been sucked out of me. Until the spider devours me.

No comments: