Monday, October 6, 2008

Work in Progress

My husband patiently allowed me to hole up in our office for most of yesterday. I must admit that my attention was often split between writing and checking out NFL stats particularly as they impacted my fantasy football match-up this week. Still, I got quite a bit done on full-length play I've been working on. And by working on I mean that I started strong but haven't touched the script in over a month.

I forced it out. There are details of the story that I'm still uncertain of, but I made myself put something on paper. It's hard to rewrite what you haven't written in the first place. The script is still rather short for a full length, but I notoriously underwrite my first drafts. I tend to fly through the events as they unfurl in my head, which means I have to go back and add pesky things like character development later.

It felt good to get this out. This was a project that really excited me in the beginning. It is my first time blending my playwriting with my professional life as it is a story that deals with information privacy issues. Forcing myself to work reminded me that the idea still excites me. It's just that little things like being pregnant have been a distraction (as well as, at times, making me exhaustion to the point of uselessness).

This project also scares me. The subject is something that interests me greatly, but I am a bit of an informaiton privacy wonk. Can I keep the story interesting and avoid sounding like I'm proselytizing? Can I keep enough techie details to be authentic without losing the audience in jargon? Plus, as the play is currently structured it combines realistic scenes with very non-realistic scenes. Will it work?

The only way to know if the play will work is to continue writing it.

Although I don't intend to give up writing for motherhood I know that in the beginning there will not be much time for creating new work. As a result, I want to get a lot of writing done this winter to have things that I can edit and submit as time permits when the baby is born. This play will be the centerpiece of that effort. I look forward to getting home tonight and continuing my effort.

1 comment:

DL said...

Yay for you !
Are you going to do naplwrimo this year ?