Monday, January 5, 2009

Let the nesting begin!

So a couple of the predicted elements of the third trimester have already become facts of life: nesting instincts and heartburn. The former is excessively more fun than the later, so let's focus on that.

On Saturday, hubby (aka big, strong man) moved our VersaClimber to the living room. I am not a fan of exercise equipment in the main areas of the home, but we need to make space somewhere until we move to a 3 bedroom apartment in May. It was either the VersaClimber in the living room or stacks of diapers in the living room. Of those options, the VersaClimber is more aesthetically pleasing, and I can watch TV while I work out.

On Sunday, I bought 2 4-drawer plastic organizers (on sale at Target!) and placed them in the VersaClimber's previous space in the den/office. I placed all the 0-3 clothes into drawers by type (hats & socks, tops & onesies, bottoms, and pajamas). We are well stocked on those sizes, so the drawers are satisfyingly full. I left the larger sizes of clothes boxed up, ready to be rotated in whenever the critter grows out of the little stuff (which, as I understand it, could be almost immediately or after multiple months).

I also started drawers for light and heavy blankets. There are two more drawers with uses that are currently TBD contingent on what I want stored there versus elsewhere.

Commence the label making! I got out the label maker and labeled each of the assigned drawers based on its contents. I stare at my little tower of achievement with great pride and anticipation.

What I'd really like to do now is start acquiring our essential gear items, so that I can stare at them obsessively rather than just staring at pictures on my registries obsessively. But I hold back. It seems smart to wait until after the baby shower to see what I might receive as gifts. Plus, there are other preparations I should do first: donate stuff I don't need, pack up stuff I won't need until after the move. Those preparations will make more room for gear!

So I guess I'll be focused on packing and sorting for the next few weeks. It's not as fun as shopping, but it must be done.

It's 10 weeks and 2 days before my due date. For anything else 10 weeks would seem like a long time, but for critter preparations it seems quite soon.

1 comment:

Becca Balistreri said...

Hi Kim! You are SO much more organized than I would be, or am, or will be at any point in my life.

10 weeks?! Your pregnancy seems so quick to those of us states away. My guess is it's seemed a tad bit longer to you. Just a guess.