Monday, January 7, 2008

I remember theatre...

Besides not doing much writing or submitting since moving to Chicago 6 months ago, I also haven't seen any theatre here. (I drove back to see one weekend of the Pittsburgh New Works Festival.) Okay, I did see a staged reading that a few friends were involved with in December. And I've seen some pretty theatrical concerts (i.e. The Flaming Lips, Cold War Kids, and Dresden Dolls). In fact on of the opening acts for the Dresden Dolls was a dance performance of the Romeo and Juliet story set to "Toxic" by Britney Spears.

Still, I haven't really seen a play in Chicago.

Seeing plays is one of the to-do items on my 2008 uber list. I start on Saturday. We are going to The Steppenwolf to see Good Boys and True by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa. I'm very excited. Plus, it's good for me. Seeing theatre always inspires more writing. Part of my responsibility as a playwright needs to be see plays. It's important. And it's fun.

In 2008 I promise to both write and see plays. Hopefully some of the plays I get to see will be mine, but I need to go regardless.

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

Funny, isn't it? I think most playwrights garner energy just by watching the efforts of other playwrights. Sort of we're all members of the same club. Makes me wonder - do house painters have this kind of respect and admiration for each other?