Thursday, January 17, 2008

Relaxation, Inspiration...stagnation

I had another massage yesterday. While lying there facedown and naked, I got an idea. An idea for a short play. Probably a one-act. Maybe a ten-minute. As my body became more and more relaxed the idea became more and more clear. On the train ride home I started to write it...in a journal that I just happened to buy on sale yesterday. The cover of the journal is imprinted with the words "If you wish to be a writer, write!"

I try. I try to write, but time seems so fleeting. I work. I'm planning a wedding. And another party. And I want to work out more. And, can't I just enjoy some time with my friends? And after work I just need to relax. Just for a bit...

Sure I can steal a few minutes of work to create largely unformatted and uneditted blog posts, but working on a play is much more involved.

As I showed the other night.

I came home. I made dinner. I watched some TV. I played some Wii. I sent some emails. Then I started to write. I started to write about half an hour before I should have gone to bed. I was up for an hour and a half. The next day I was exhausted.

Once I start writing I can't stop. (Usually. At least in the early drafts. Rewrites are harder.)

I need to find a way to balance all the things I want to do. I don't know how to do that. It's frustrating. I know I could do so much, if I only had the time.

Back to work!

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

When you figure out how to work it all out, please let me know the answer. Some of my most creative writing has been at three in the morning. Still, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one who fights this battle. Thanks.