Monday, January 19, 2009

Hips Don't Fail Me Now

My hips hurt. I started noticing it on Friday night. I figured it was a momentary strain. But my hips still hurt on Saturday. I decided it might be the fact that I had used the VersaClimber on Thursday for the first time in a while. Or, perhaps, it was the fact that I hadn’t been to Bikram since Tuesday.

I made sure to go to Bikram on Sunday morning in hopes of alleviating the soreness in my hips. I certainly felt good (as always) doing yoga, and I felt good for the rest of the day. But today I woke up with sore hips again.

It probably didn’t help that I spent a lot of time sitting on the floor playing the new Raving Rabbids game for the Wii, and then contorted through a variety of stress positions as I nervously watched the AFC Championship Game. (Go Steelers!)

Perhaps it is a sleep position thing. I do sleep with a Snoogle, which is a C shaped pillow designed for pregnant women. One part tucks under my head, another part wraps around my belly, and another part goes between my legs. I mostly got it because I was often a stomach sleeper, and I figured that this would help prevent me from crushing the critter. Now, I think that perhaps I should add another pillow between my legs to help keep my hips level. I guess I’ll try that tonight.

It wouldn’t surprise me to feel some discomfort. My body is currently hauling around almost 40 more points than it was last summer (although only 20 more pounds than it was a year ago). Still, I had been enjoying being largely discomfort free to date. Despite having a history of back problems, I haven’t had back pain. This hip thing is the first problem that couldn’t be fixed by changing positions. I know I should consider myself lucky since many women have pain and problems throughout pregnancy, but I’m just hoping that I’m not going to feel this way for another 8 weeks.

I will continue to do my Bikram 2-3 times a week in hopes that will help. At minimum, it helps when I’m doing it. Plus, 90 minutes in a 105 degree room is a nice break from the Chicago winter.



(Technically my right knee should be directly over my right ankle. Was this picture a presager to my hip issues?)

2 comments:

emjaro said...

Hey Kim! Looking good. A tip from my yoga teaching on sleeping a hip positions: if you have a pillow between your knees to support your hips, you should also have one between your ankles. This helps keep your hips inline. Although you do end up sleeping with a thousand pillows.

Kim Z said...

Thanks, Emma! I added the extra pillow last night and woke up without hip pain!

I hope you and baby Oliver are doing well.