Monday, December 3, 2007

Daring to Have a Merry Christmas

I guess I'm a rebel, but I like Christmas. It seems to be popular right now to bash Christmas. Sure, it's overly commercial, and it doesn't really tie to the Christian meaning (which is fine with me). However, it does bring people together. It encourages giving. It encourages treating oneself, one's family, and one's friend. It warms our hearts when it's cold outside. At least if we permit it.

Is it sad that we need a season for an excuse? A little. And I do try to be generous and welcoming to the people I care about all year long. What Christmas provides is a whole season when we can all focus on these things. Sure you may throw a party in the summer, but some people may have to work or have other plans. You may buy a gift for someone in the fall, but they may feel uncomfortable receiving a gift for "no reason" other than "I saw this and I thought of you." During the month of December everything slows down for celebrations and get togethers and choosing just the right gift.

Can it be stressful. Of course! It's important to keep things under control. I have thrown a Christmas party every year except one (after a move) since 1993. As it grew bigger it became stressful. I didn't do anything else in December but prepare for my party. It has become a tradition for many of my friends. So I was under a lot of pressure to keep it going. It lost the joy it once had. So I scaled it down. I still made special treats from scratch, but I'd supplement with some store bought appetizers and snack trays. Everyone still enjoys getting together, and I get to enjoy it, too!

I realize that other people celebrate other holidays this time of year. I respect that, but I still give Christmas presents. I don't feel like I'm forcing my beliefs on them (particularly the religious side of the holiday is not a part of my beliefs). I just want to share my traditions with them, and show them I care about them. My family always celebrated the season with a lot of love. That's what I like about it.

If that makes me a rebel, so be it. At least I'm a merry rebel.

No comments: