Friday, December 14, 2007

Submission

I begin again. Last night I made two submissions to a local festival. One piece was newly written; the other was an edit of an older work that has never been produced. The holiday season is harrowing, but I feel that I am on the path again. I am writing again. I am submitting again. Hopefully that combination will result in me being produced again. I need to continue the trend of getting more productions each year. (2007 had 1 full-length production and 3 one-act productions, plus 2 public readings.) Plays are not meant to sit in a box or on a computer. Being a "semi-finalist" is reassuring, but they call having a play produced having it "done" because it can't be finished until it is put on stage.

I also need to be produced in more places. For not living in Pittsburgh for two and a half years, my playwriting career remains quite Pittsburgh-centric. Not that Pittsburgh is bad. It has been and continues to be very good for me. I just feel that I need to break out more. It would be nice to be produced in the city where I live. To do that, I need to submit plays to local theatres. I began that last night.

Do I think I have a chance with what I submitted? I never know. But at least I am trying. I wrote something. I sent it out. The rest is out of my hands.

3 comments:

Jack Petersen said...

Your blog reads like you and I are almost dead even where being produced is concerned ... not to mention all the foot dragging leading up to it. I got a big boost when I was asked to co-author a work. Never did that before - wasn't at all sure I wanted to do that. It was very refreshing - everything by email.Now I'm looking forward to finding someone I don't know so I can do it again. You interested enough to discuss it?

J

Kim Z said...

Interesting prospect, Jack, but I've got too many solo projects lined up to take on a partnership right now.

Jack Petersen said...

I understand. Maybe later. Is fun.