Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My kind of town (Chicago is)

A good friend of mine moved to Chicago last year shortly after I did. She just sent a rant about how much she hates the city and wants to go somewhere else. This was prompted in part by a horrible commute in which her train was stuck underground. Still, I can tell her that trains get stuck underground occasionally in other cities, too.

I love Chicago. Within my first few weeks of living here it felt like home. First, I find it extremely easy to get around. The trains and busses, although not as pretty as in DC, run frequently and along extremely useful corridors. The grid system of numbers makes it easy to find addresses because, for example, a 2400 address will always be just north of Fullerton. It’s highly logical and organized and I love that.

I love that things are always happening here. When I lived in Pittsburgh, non-natives that came there for school would complain that there wasn’t enough to do. At the time, I didn’t understanding. Having spent my early adult years in Pittsburgh with my high school years in Billings, MT and a small town in Arizona, there seemed to be things to do. Now, I understand what they meant. In Chicago there are so many things to do that you couldn’t possibly have the time or money to do them all. There are always all sorts of bands playing. Many plays in a broad range of genres. In summer, there are multiple festivals each weekend. And, of course, there are the things that are always there: the museums, the parks, the lake.

There is amazing food here of many styles and ethnicities. Most of it can be obtained for reasonable, if not cheap, prices. I’m lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where a lot of great restaurants are in walking distance.

I love that Chicago is truly a city but has cute little tree-lined neighborhoods.

Okay, the winter is rough. So I bought a hardcore winter coat and didn’t go outside as much. And, although inconvenient, the snow is beautiful.

I guess that not everywhere is for everyone. I know people who like DC; whereas, although I didn’t hate it, I was happy to leave. All I can hope is that everyone finds a place that makes them as comfortable as Chicago is to me.

No comments: