Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The morning ritual...

...is complicated.

Hubby and I have been working to coordinate bathroom time and other preparations for the day. For example, hubby changes and dresses the critter while I'm in the shower. Lunch packing and milk/formula preparations are usually done the night before.

I still don't have a rhythm yet. Yesterday, I was almost done feeding the critter, which is usually my last thing to do, when I realized I hadn't put on make-up yet. I've made coffee at home, or I've waiting until going to work. And there is the variable of how hungry the crit is. Somedays he feeds more than others, and it seems like the daycare lady still needs to feed him within an hour of his arrival.

The biggest problem is all the stuff I have to carry down the 3 flights of stairs to the garage. (Thank goodness I decided to start driving to work. I couldn't do all this on the train.) I have my purse, my breast pump, my lunch, a cooler of bottles for the critter, a coffee mug (sometimes), and the critter in a car seat. It's a lot of stuff! I've thought about leaving the pump in the car, but sometimes I need it at night. Plus, I'd still need to bring in all the washable parts and the expressed milk.

So far, the only efficiency I've come up with is putting my lunch and the milk cooler in a reusable shopping bag, which allows me to put them over my shoulder rather than carry them in my hand. Other than that, I just pile everything on and plod down the stairs. I've been considering putting the critter in the Bjorn carrier to avoid having the heavy critter/carseat combo to carry, but having to deal with getting him in and out of the Bjorn and then strap him into the carseat seems like more trouble than it is worth.

I've typically liked living on a 3rd floor for security, privacy, and quiet (no upstairs neighbors) reasons, but I'm beginning to wish we lived a bit lower!

No comments: