Sunday, June 28, 2009

This is mostly a test

This is to see what happens with my RSS feed to Facebook. Yesterday I added that, and it posted my last 24 posts! It's not a big deal since they are public anyway, but it was not what I intended to do. I tried to delete them (So people wouldn't think, "WTF? Why is she posting all this?), but they kept coming back. I'll see what happens when I create some I post something new.

I've been fighting the Facebook thing for some time now. Partly because of concerns about the misappropriaton of my personal information. Partly because I didn't want to take the time.

As for the privacy concerns, I am paying close attention to my privacy settings, including using suggestions from articles on Facebook privacy such as this and this. Plus, as with all my online activities, I try to avoid posting anything that would be particularly damaging even if someday found by someone outside the intended audience.

As for the time, we'll see how that goes. With the critter there is even less of what used to be free time, so I'm striving for balance. (I already put a filter on my Gmail to have Facebook notifications skip the inbox and go into a facebook folder. That way I'm not constantly being pinged, but I still have a way to check on Facebook activity without having to go to the site.)

I will say that it's nice to connect to people with whom I haven't been in touch for a while. Also, many friends of friends have been using Facebook as a primary mode of communication, so it's nice to be in the loop.

No comments: